Rate this book
Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nursing, Third Edition
Integrating Psychotherapy, Psychopharmacology, and Complementary and Alternative Approaches Across the Life Span
Joyce J. Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN, Kathleen Tusaie, PhD, APRN-BC
"This textbook is our go-to book, it is an excellent overview of advanced practice in psychiatric nursing. This is the text that we use in our seminar courses during clinical, and we also use it in our review for our ANCC boards. Our student’s scores were 92% this past year! We are very pleased with this textbook!"
-Dr. Cheryl Zauderer, PhD, CNM, PMHNP-BC
Associate Dean of Graduate Programs
Co-Coordinator, PMHNP Program
Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing
Now in its third edition, this revised reference continues to serve as the only foundational resource for APRNs to incorporate a focus on integrative interventions with mental health issues across the lifespan. New chapters on Legal and Ethical Decision Making and LGBTQ+ Issues: Care of Sexual and Gender Minority Patients, and Increasing Resilience in Advanced Practice Mental Health Nurses, shed light on vital contemporary issues. This text offers expanded coverage on telehealth, population health, and the updated AACN Essentials. Additionally, the third edition provides 10 practical case studies illustrating specific syndromes as well as 2019 updates to the ANCC certification exam. It provides expanded instructor resources including a Test Bank and PowerPoints.
Comprehensive and practical, this text is organized around commonly seen clinical constellations of psychiatric symptoms and covers neurobiology, theory, and research evidence along with pharmacological information relevant to each syndrome. It delivers an abundance of valuable interventions from which clinicians and clients can co-create the most effective, individualized interventions. Popular decision trees provide an algorithm to help students work through the process of evaluating and treating patients, and a lifespan focus prepares students for treating patients in all age groups.
New to the Third Edition:
- New Chapters:
- Legal and Ethical Decision Making
- LGBTQ+ Issues: Care of Sexual and Gender Minority Patients
- Increasing Resilience in Advanced Practice Mental Health Nurses
- Includes 10 new case studies delivering practical information on specific syndromes
- Updated to reflect 2019 ANCC certification exam and 2020 AACN Essentials
- Simplifies complex concepts using clear language while retaining depth of information
- Includes diverse treatment options, decision trees, easy-to-follow algorithms, and pertinent pharmacological data
- Edited by internationally acclaimed PMH-APRN practitioner/educators
- Contains "Aging Alerts" and "Pediatric Points"
- Reflects the DSM 5 and discusses genetic testing
- Expanded instructor resources include a Test Bank and PowerPoints